Once you have completed the first draft of your report, you must revise and edit it. While the goal in writing the first draft was to put your ideas on paper, the goal of this step is to improve the manner in which you are communicating your ideas. Verify the following as you revise and edit your paper:
- Do the ideas in the report support its purpose?
- Are the main ideas in the report correctly structured?
- Are the main ideas in the report supported with evidence and examples?
- Have I explained any terms that the reader might not understand?
- Have I tailored the report to the audience who will be reading it?
- Does the report flow smoothly? Are transitions between paragraphs smooth?
- Do the words I have chosen convey what I am trying to say?
- Have I altered sentence length and structure to make them interesting to read?
- Is the spelling, punctuation, and grammar correct?