Problem solving is a critical skill that you will need in all aspects of your life. By building on your existing skills and creating a solid foundation in problem solving techniques, you will be on your way to successfully solving problems.
The phrase "problem solving" consists of very general concepts covering a wide range of different activities and ways to approach solving problems. Problem solving can be fun and intriguing. This tutorial will help you learn how to approach problem solving so you can maximize your college experience.
Goals and Objectives
The main goal of this tutorial is to introduce learners to the most important concept in any problem solving situation - identification of the true problem. Upon completing this tutorial, you will be able to:
- Define the concept of problem solving
- Describe the differences between puzzle problems, well-structured problems, and ill-structured problems
- Summarize the reasons why problem solving skills are valuable
- Explain the differences between the scientific method and problem solving
- Demonstrate how to determine the true problem in any problem solving situation
- Read the information about problem solving
- Complete Activity 1 to see if you understand what an ill-structured problem is
- Read the information about approaching and solving ill-structured problems
- Read the information about dealing with the real problem
- Complete Activity 2 to see if you can determine the real problem in different situations
- Read about Jose's father's problem and practice what you have learned about problem solving
Note: All external links in this tutorial will open in a new window or tab.