Think about this situation and answer the question below.
When starting a tutoring session, it is important to help the student feel comfortable. Some of the things you might have suggested doing in your answer would be to:
- make eye contact with the student.
- introduce yourself.
- shake hands with the students.
- smile and act friendly.
- offer to take the student's coat.
- look for ways to make the student physically comfortable; for instance, offer her or him a comfortable chair to sit in.
- find a general topic to chat about.
- find out if this is the student's first visit for tutoring.
- let the student know you are interested by listening carefully and responding attentatively to what she or he says.