Listen to Yourself
- Breath deeply. Wait 10 seconds before responding.
- Imagine how your would react if you have no personal interest in the conflict.
- Be aware of your body language and non-verbal communication.
- Be assertive. Ask for what you need but be open and flexible to negotiation. Look for common interest and positions.
Listen to Others
- Be civil and polite at all times.
- Try to understand the other person(s) point of view.
- Rephrase/restate what you hear to ensure you understand.