Because concept maps are an external visualization of a person's ideas and body of knowledge, or how the person conceptualizes a topic, they are an excellent tool for assessing the level of a learner's knowledge on a given topic.
J. D. Novak is considered by many to be the 'father' of concept mapping. Any in-depth examination of concept mapping should include his writings.
For more information on concept mapping, please refer to:
- Jonassen, D. H., Beissner, K., & Yacci, M. (1993). Structural knowledge: Techniques for representing, conveying, and acquiring structural knowledge. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Jonassen, D. H. (1996). Computers in the classroom: Mindtools for critical thinking. Engelwood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Manktelow, J. (1995). Mind Tools: Improving Note Taking with Concept Maps. Retrieved March 19, 2004, from http://www.psywww.com/mtsite/mindmaps.html *
- Novak, J. D. (1998). Learning, creating, and using knowledge: Concept maps as facilitative tools in schools and corporation. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Novak, J. D., & Canas, A. J. The Theory Underlying Concept Maps and How to Construct and Use Them. Retrieved February 25, 2012, from http://cmap.ihmc.us/Publications/ResearchPapers/TheoryCmaps/TheoryUnderlyingConceptMaps.htm
- Shaverlson, R. J. Methods for examining representations of subject matter structure in student's memory. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 11, (13), 231-249.
- The Center for Science Education, the University of South Carolina, Columbia. (1998). Geology 103, Water-Life Sustaining Resources, Concept Map, Retrieved March 15, 2004, from http://cse.cosm.sc.edu/env_sci/Resources/L_Sus_Res/Water/Water_Frame.htm *
- The Center for Science Education, the University of South Carolina, Columbia. (1998). Geology 103, Alternative Sources of Energy, Concept Map, Retrieved March 15, 2004, from http://cse.cosm.sc.edu/env_sci/Resources/O_Nat_Res/Alt_Energy/Alt_Eng_Frame.htm *
- Zeilik, M. Field-tested learning assessment guide. (2012). Classroom assessment techniques: Concept Mapping, Retrieved February 25, 2012, from http://www.flaguide.org/cat/conmap/conmap7.php
* Indicates that the original Website is no longer available.