- Pen and straight edge ruler (or a steady hand!)
- Note paper
- Study begins when you decide what you will learn. When you underline, you decide what you will learn
- If you underline accurately, you will be able to review and make notes more easily
Guides for Underlining
- Read an entire section first.
- Do not underline too much.
- Select information you want to learn to make into notes.
- Make major points stand out clearly.
- Use numbers
- Use double underlining
- Use stars
- Use key words
- Use brief summaries
- Write questions if you do not understand something, so you can return to that section
- Underline the condensed answer
- Answers may include information in:
- Topic sentences
- Words printed in special type
- Numbered lists
- Pay attention to and be aware of words of transition, introduction, conclusion, and definition (such as accordingly, since, then, of course, but, yet, more important, likewise, besides, for these reasons, subsequently, afterwards, that is, that means, etc.).
- You should see major facts in an outline form